Gains and Loses of Life, Fr.Joby Kachappilly VC

THE LOSSES AND GAINS OF LIFE
Fr.Joby Kachappilly VC, jobichanvc@gmail.com

I was celebrating Holy Eucharist in a retreat for the elderly. During the Holy Mass, just before giving the message of the word of God, I asked the participants., “What are the troubles and pains that bother you at this time of your life?” People had different answers. Some mentioned lack of health; for others it was the lack of love from children; for a few it was the feeling that they were not wanted. They shared many other similar painful experiences. When I examined the responses, I discovered a truth – that behind all their sorrows there was a sense of loss. Some of the enjoyments or blessings they had in the past were missing from their lives. Even as they complain about their problems, the basic fact is the sense of loss --- loss of health, eye-sight or the love of the children. Over and above the material or physical losses, what is the loss that a person must be worried about? It is the loss of the presence of Jesus, or the divine perspective and the spirituality connected with it. It is then that the person can overcome the sense of loss and other inconveniences.

The Holy Family, too, has a tale of loss to tell. Joseph, Mary and the Boy Jesus had gone to Jerusalem temple for the festival of the Passover. The Gospelist describes that the boy Jesus was lost on their way back (Lk. 2:41-52). The distraught parents looked for the child everywhere, but he was not found. With tears in their eyes, they returned to the Jerusalem Temple. Where will people in pain, in troubles and tribulations go except to the temple where there is the presence of the Lord? “Come to me all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Mt. 11:28). When the gospelist testifies that child Jesus was found in the temple, the descriptions given bring us some spiritual thoughts. Many of us are also distraught because we feel that we have lost something in our lives. The disciples who were going to Emmaus were sad because they thought they lost Jesus (Lk 24:13-35). Losses, per se, do not constitute reasons for sorrow. Because, people who have had the same type of losses continue to live cheerfully. That means over and above the losses the feeling that one lost his spirituality and the presence of Jesus is what makes one sad. But realize this. All the lost things are found in the temple. This realization must guide one’s life into a fresh angle, a new perspective, of search.

WHAT ARE YOU SEEKING?

St. John records this as the first question that came out from the lips of Jesus, “What are you seeking?” (1:38). This is a very fundamental question. In our lives when we lose things one after the other, when our dreams shatter one by one, what should we truly be looking for? In the midst of the sorrow of losses, where should we seek a sheltering haven? Some people plunge headlong into alcohol and other addictions to compensate their losses, and compensate what has been lost. It is through Christ that we must look for all the lost things; it is through the churches where there is his presence. My people who are called by my name should seek my fact (2 Chr. 7:14). In the Gospel of John there is reference to the family whose wine gave out during the wedding feast at Cana. When there was the shortage, every one was looking for wine. But Mary did not look for wine, she sought Jesus (Jn. 2:3). The gospelist records that then the family got wine jars filled to the brim and overflowing. Jesus says, “Strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Mt. 6:33).

THEY RETURNED TO JERUSALEM

It is some of the fundamental stances and decisions that one takes in the midst of crises that determine his future. Caught amidst ups and downs, the ebb and flow of tides, one’s negative stances may cost him the fortunes that the Lord had intended to give him. The Bible says that the prodigal son, who realized that he had lost the spirituality as he got caught in the giddying whirlpools of worldly pleasures, blinded by the glitz, glitter and glamour, returned to his father’s home (Lk. 15:18). Some return journeys become essential to receive divine graces and blessings, and to get back the anointing and God-experience that got lost along the way somewhere. “For just as you were disposed to go astray from God, return with tenfold zeal to seek him” (Bar 4:28). Mary and Joseph were ready for the return journey to seek their lost boy Lk. 2:45). These quotations should lead us to some insights and revelations about our lives. Where was I heading for all my life? Only when we are ready for some return journeys we will be able to see the Savior and experience salvation.

THEY WERE ASTONISHED

The Bible says that “When his parents saw him they were astonished” (Lk. 2:48). Those who lose things that they considered their own as losses will not have colourful visions or surprises and wonders. Realize that whatever is lost is a gift from above. When one laments the loss of his health, the loss of his children’s love, the sharing of his property among the children, he is viewing them as losses at the rational level. In reality, if he considers them with a positive frame of mind, he will see some kind of spirituality underlying all these ‘losses’. Today’s losses are the inevitable results of the strenuous work and sacrifices one made for those whom one considered ones own. The losses and pains that one counters today are testimonies that they have divided and given away their lives to make others happy and fruitful. When Jesus is seen at the background of everything, life will be full of astonishments, surprises. When we consider the losses as the contribution we made for gaining certain things and creating new things, there will be indescribable joy in our minds and astonishment is the resultant emotion. We are not to be guided by the computations of our losses. On the contrary our losses are the souvenirs of the commendable things we have striven for and achieved. If one can think in such positive terms, we will see that our life too is full of exquisite frames of light and sound and that it is an exquisite saga of astonishing experiences.


TREASURED ALL THESE THINGS IN THE HEART

Once a man approached me asking me to pray for him as he wanted to find the reason for the problems he was encountering. Then I told him, “Instead of trying to find the reasons for the problems, pray so that the problems themselves go away from your life. Then there would be no relevance to the reasons.” Everybody seems to have the temptation of asking questions and look at life in a critical way when some reckonings go awry and one is hunted from pillar to post by crises and losses. At the end of all searches and discoveries, all the inexplicable things should be treasured in the mind following the model of St. Mary and it should become a spiritual life style (Lk. 2:51). In such a case even in the midst of all sufferings and losses, life becomes radiant like the rainbow.

TO KEEP IN MIND

Meditate, looking into the face of God and not on losses. Life will become a festival.
Amidst all your searches (wealth, joy, material gains), let there be the presence of Jesus, the Nazarene.
Consider each loss as an invitation God gives you for your return journey home.
Do not forget that at the end of all pains and losses, there is an astonishing sight of discovery and restoration awaiting you.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I visited tabor ashram many miracles had taken place in my life.I have faith in God and his son Jesus Christ.God is my greatest counselor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very beautifully put.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Fr.Joby,

    I attended this 2nd of april good friday retreat with my mom & dad this my dad attend first time retreat u preching the "word of god " than i looking for my dad his not understanding in english but you preach in english my dad is understood iam very shocked that time pls. pray 4 my fly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Fr Joby,
    This is Andrea from Jesus Youth in Canada. Yes, I am a youth! =)
    I attended one of your retreats in Canada which really taught me so much. I liked how you praise God after everything you said; i've started to do that =)

    This Saturday I am giving a talk on the lack of love in the world especially in Canada and how God is the provider of true love.
    Do you have any ideas on some Bible passages that I can use??

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Father Joby,
    this is an uplifting spiritual message for hard times. i had attended two retreats in faridabad where the classes taken by you were wonderful. keep up the good news of jesus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heaven is something you truly can imagine or fore tell really it an amazing experience all over, I was for on hour forty five minutes up there ,I saw things beyond earth ,things that I have never seen an witnessed un imaginable rays of light has I walked to Heaven doors . It was a huge door that opened my folks & friends were there to greet me priest and even bishops I have helped and known, Some people who were my enemies down on earth I even met them ,
    Then we walked into a huge room that was a conference hall Jesus his angles & I can’t place who but it was a huge assembly out there , I spoke to my king in person truly amazing out there he said go down and tell the youth about this tell them the world is not yet over , Media is corrupting children , more of devices our come that has made us forget the folks who live with us , He asked me to stop electronic media business that I used to post my cars he said son media is devil game you get attract to number of clicks one after the other , Read my word daily I will dwell with you daily, He said America or any place on earth belongs to me I will not let my people suffer or people can’t destroy by creation.
    He said my return is soon & it’s not far I want you to avoid media because they will add or subtract your story , He said son you our rich because I made you rich I blessed your wealth for generations to come , Then the assembly stood and I heard a huge choir singing praises to Jesus , He showed how my folks down on earth needed me , he said Son your time not over you got your daughters to settle I have blessed you them & will restore your marriage ,He said never speak evil of any body son be careful of your tongue use it well .

    In Christ.
    Savio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.frjobyspiritualwritings.com/
    http://www.frjobybooksandmusics.com/
    http://www.frjobypreachings.com/
    http://www.frjobykachappilly.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Presence in the Mountians, Fr.Joby Vc